A quick, easy, and effective way to reach out to your elected officials on legislative issues of interest to the floodplain management community.
Today we are excited to announce the launch of a new advocacy platform that will help ASFPM members stay current on important legislation and give them the resources needed to make their voices heard at the state and federal levels. Please take action today by contacting your U.S. Senators and encouraging them to support flood map funding! It will only take 10 minutes when you use our new ASFPM Engage platform.
ASFPM Engage is an outreach communication platform featuring legislative information of interest to the floodplain management community. When you visit the site, you’ll see a snapshot of all the bills we are actively monitoring, including our official position, commentary, bill sponsor(s), and latest actions. You also can enter your zip code to look up your elected officials at the local, state, and federal levels.
For some of the key issues, you’ll have the opportunity to share your comments and concerns directly with your representatives using ASFPM-developed talking points, which you have the option of personalizing with information of particular relevance to your state or local community.
First up is FY2021 Senate Appropriation for National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) Floodplain Mapping Funding. At stake is a $163 million gap between the $263 million for floodplain mapping the House of Representatives passed in their FY2021 budget bill and the $100 million President Trump requested. Without hearing from constituents, the Senate Appropriations Committee may falsely conclude that the president’s budget request is sufficient.
Here’s how to use ASFPM Engage to write a letter that will go directly to your senators:
- Visit the ASFPM Engage page on the ASFPM website.
- Under Engage on an Issue you’ll see which bills we’re asking for members to take action on by writing a letter.
- Enter your contact information. Your mailing address will be included in the letter. Your phone number and email address will not be shared, but will allow the form to remember you for subsequent campaigns.
- Next you will see some background information on the issue and the letter the ASFPM policy team has crafted. You are welcome to send the letter as it is written or personalize it by adding your local perspective. You’ll see a section in the body of the template where you’re able to do that.
- Once you’re happy with the letter, simply click Submit and the letter will go directly to the intended recipients.
- While on the site, be sure to opt-in to receive email updates from the ASFPM policy team. They’ll be in touch whenever there’s an opportunity to amplify our collective voices.
We encourage you to visit ASFPM Engage today and take advantage of this powerful new tool. As flood losses increase in the nation, the need for sound floodplain management and adequate funding to support those policies is more important than ever. No one understands the issues better than our members, and we need to remain strong advocates for our communities by letting Congress know what is needed. It really does make a difference.