The Operations Manager provides operational and cultural leadership and support for the organization. This position is responsible for direct oversight and management of ASFPM’s operations service functions, conferences and events, communications, chapters and ASFPM Foundation administrative support, as well as oversight of the Certified Floodplain Manager Program and training. The Operations Manager shall have primary responsibility to run the day-to-day operations of ASFPM, and be an onsite supervisor/management/mentor resource to all Madison-based staff. The Operations Manager is also responsible for administration of its financial, contracts, agreements and HR/personnel matters; and other operational matters working closely with the Finance Manager. This position works closely with the Executive Director and Technical Director on long-term strategic and short-term annual planning. The Operations Manager reports to the Executive Director who works under the direction of the Board of Directors of ASFPM.
- Manages and supervises direct reports and also serves as on-site manager for all staff, assisting other managers who may be traveling or working remotely.
- Oversees and/or administers the Human Resources functions of the Executive Office including but not limited to insurance issues, benefits, liability and workman’s comp.
- Provides general HR support and guidance to staff when complex, specialized, and sensitive questions and issues arise; may be required to administer and execute routine tasks in delicate circumstances such as providing reasonable accommodations, investigating allegations of wrongdoing, and terminations.
- Manages the talent acquisition process, which may include recruitment, interviewing, and hiring of qualified job applicants; collaborates with ASFPM managers to understand skills and competencies required for openings.
- Oversees employees’ disciplinary meetings, terminations, and investigations.
- Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommends best practices; reviews policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- Oversees staff onboarding process.
- Oversees ASFPM’s employee annual performance review process; conducts performance evaluations for direct reports.
- Maintain staff personnel files.
- Oversees financial records, financial staff, checking, saving and investments, and is the signatory and approver on most contracts, banking, insurance, HR as well as approval authority for AP/AR on a daily basis.
- Oversees the day-to-day financial operations of the Association. Reviews, approves, and pays all ASFPM bills in accordance with policy, including annual tax documents.
- Assists Executive Director, and in preparing draft annual budgets for consideration by the Board of Directors, as well as Financial Strategic Planning.
- Supports fundraising activities of ASFPM and in coordination with the ASFPM Foundation, as applicable.
- Manages ongoing day-to-day operations of the Association including overseeing the Association’s office, procedures, and human resources and association records and files, including but not limited to Board minutes, resolutions, and other critical correspondence.
- Direct or participate in negotiations for complex or sensitive agreements; manages any leases/contracts. Coordinates as needed with the IT/Building Manager on IT and service providers, contractors, etc.
- Maintains and updates association policies and procedures periodic updates, policy development/improvement activities as necessary. Directs monitors, advises, and assists in preparation and conduct of Association conferences and workshops, including the annual ASFPM conference. Provides management oversight of conferences/events including working with conference planner to perform site selection, negotiation with hotels and venues, and site visits.
- Assists the Board and Executive Director in establishing annual Goals and Objectives of the Association, strategic planning, and identifies opportunities for ASFPM projects and partnership coordination activities.
- Management oversight of Certified Floodplain Manager/Certified Floodplain Management Program. Provides management oversight of general outreach, communications, and social media initiatives and activities. Provides leadership to staff to establish and/or revise outreach and social media policies.
- Along with the Executive Director and Technical Director, serves as a primary point of contact for all leadership.
- ASFPM Board - Working with the Executive Director, assists with agenda preparation, background material, conduct and logistics for Board meetings, Committee meetings, conference calls, special meetings, and conferences. Provides the Board with a report on the activities of the Executive office every three months.
- ASFPM Foundation – Coordinates with the ASFPM Chapter and Foundation staff and Foundation Board of Trustees to identify and facilitate administrative support and coordination with ASFPM Foundation efforts.
- ASFPM Chapters – In cooperation with the ASFPM Chapter and Foundation staff, coordinates with ASFPM Members, Chapters, State and Regional Floodplain Management Associations, and other professional and trade organizations involved in or affecting flood risk management and federal agencies involved in floodplain management and related programs.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 6 years related experience or equivalent combination; including 2 years managing operations, central business functions or similar organizational priorities.
- Experience leading and implementing multiple initiatives
- Experience supervising employees
- Experience learning about and incorporating diversity, equity, and inclusion into programs, projects or teams
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- Experience analyzing and interpreting financial reports
- Experience developing and administering departmental budget or equivalent
- Expert knowledge of current and evolving trends in relevant discipline, preferably in a non-profit environment
- Superior knowledge of multiple operations functions and principles, including finance, employee management, membership/customer service
- Demonstrates experience leading large scale initiatives across organizational boundaries
- Proven ability to succeed through positive influence, persuasion and tact
- Successful experience managing and implementing strategic program goals
- Use a data driven approach to report on program success and influence decision making
- Ability to evolve operations strategy based on research, data, organizational direction, and best practices
- Ability to work in partnership with others in a collaborative or advisory role
- Attain Certified Floodplain Manager certification within one year
We offer the best benefits package in the Madison area! Family wellness: our healthcare plan covers you and your family with full health, vision, and dental insurance - we cover 75% of premiums for employees and dependents, pre-funded HSA accounts, retirement matching up to 5%.
Flexible vacation policy: we trust everybody to get work done and manage their own work/life balance - we start you with 3-weeks paid vacation and don’t micromanage your days off.
Paid holidays, sick leave and family leave, maternity and paternity leave.
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com