Entry Level Water Resources Staff Engineer
WEST Consultants, Inc., a premier firm in water resources engineering, is seeking energetic and ambitious applicants qualified to apply for an Entry Level Water Resources Staff Engineer position. Positions are being considered for our office locations in Tempe, AZ; San Diego, CA; Folsom, CA; Salem, OR; Dallas, TX; and Bellevue, WA.
About the Position:
In this position, you will apply your knowledge of principles of hydrology and hydraulics to respond to a broad range of water resources engineering assignments in surface-water riverine and estuarine environments to:
- Study open channel flow, sediment transport, scour, stability, and deposition issues in rivers and reservoirs.
- Estimate flood hazards and risk. Develop mitigation measures and alternatives for watersheds, including flood forecasting and inundation mapping.
- Evaluate complex water resource systems including watersheds receiving rain and snow.
- Perform integrated hydrologic modeling including potential impacts on surface and groundwater due to climate changes.
- Conduct dam/levee engineering and safety investigations to include dam breach analysis, feasibility planning, operations studies, drainage analysis, water control manual updates.
- Work as part of a project team to develop high quality deliverables for our clients.
Your core duties and responsibilities may require you to:
- Develop, calibrate, and validate hydrologic and hydraulic numerical models.
- Use GIS tools to pre- and post-process data.
- Organize, manipulate, and evaluate data using spreadsheets or other engineering software.
- Delineate floodplains and create flood hazard maps.
- Prepare Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) floodplain management program documentation such as No-Rise Certification, CLOMR, LOMR, and/or LOMA.
- Design hydraulic structures such as bridges, culverts, levees, and fish passages.
- Design systems for scour countermeasures and streambank erosion protection.
- Prepare figures, maps, and graphics.
- Prepare technical reports, memoranda, and manuals.
- Work closely with internal project teams and clients on specific assignments or for other meetings.
- Present communication pertaining to specific assignments or meetings.
- Participate in local engineering organizations or conferences.
- Expand your engineering skills, both technical and non-technical, from continuous learning.
- Other duties may be assigned.
0-5 years related experience.
Master’s Degree or higher in Civil or Environmental Engineering or water resources related field is required.
In addition to being enthusiastic about working in the field of water resources engineering, you should have the following skills:
- Experience with U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Hydrologic Engineering Center (HEC) and other numerical models, such as HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS.
- Experience with GIS software.
- Strong computer skills are required, with knowledge of programming languages such as Visual Basic and Python a plus.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work independently & manage time, as well as to work in a team.
- Excellent problem-solving abilities, including the ability to apply ingenuity and creativity in solving complex engineering problems.
WEST offers a competitive benefits package. We pay 100% of employee health insurance premiums (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, AD&D, and Long-Term Disability), we offer a 401k match, and we provide many other benefits including but not limited to Flexible Spending Account plans, an Employee Assistance Program, Travel Assistance Program, and more.