National Flood Risk Management: Flood Risk Summit
A National Summit on "The Challenge of Quantifying, Communicating, and Managing Flood Risk"
July 13-14, 2009
Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay
Eighty of the nation's flood risk managers and colleagues gathered in Cambridge, Maryland, July 13-14, 2009, for an invitation-only "National Flood Risk Management Summit", hosted by the Association of State Floodplain Managers (ASFPM) and the National Association of Flood and Stormwater Management Agencies (NAFSMA). The objectives of this meeting were to solicit feedback and provide updates to local, state, regional, and federal officials and the private sector on vital national policies currently under consideration at the Federal level. These gatherings are an outgrowth of the Intergovernmental Flood Risk Management Committee (IFRMC) which consists of ASFPM, NAFSMA, FEMA, and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, who have been meeting regularly the past four years to move this critical issue forward. The forum elicited productive discussions to advance national approaches on flood risk management policy for the improvement of public safety.
- Provide updates on critical actions, policies, and accomplishments since the last flood risk management policy summit at Aspen Wye River Conference Center in December 2006.
- Solicit input on focal areas for IFRMC in the near future, namely risk quantification and communication activities.
- Update new agency and Congressional leadership on flood risk management topics, priorities, and challenges.
Summit Program and Participants
- Rob Wood, EPA, "EPA and Flood Risk, Programs and Perspectives" (.ppt, 9.14MB)
- Pete Rabbon, USACE, "Examples in Communicating Flood Risk" (.ppt, 5.4MB)
- Deb Ingram, FEMA, "Examples in Managing Flood Risk" (.ppt, 25.5MB)
- Doug Bellomo, FEMA, "Examples in Quantifying Flood Risk" (.ppt, 5.54MB)
- Edward Hecker, USACE, "Examples in Quantifying Flood Risk" (.ppt, 1.63MB)
- Susan Gilson, NAFSMA, "Flood Risk Management Summit" (.ppt, 3.5MB)
- Larry Larson, ASFPM, Flood Risk Summit (.pdf, 162KB)
- Larry Larson, ASFPM, Flood Risk Summit (.ppt, 289KB)
- Dusty Williams, Riverside County Flood Control District, "Intergovernmental Flood Risk Management Committee" (.ppt, 2.63MB)
- Bruce Julian, USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service, "Managing Flood Risk: Where do we go?" (.ppt, 2.37MB)
- Steven Stockton, USACE, "Managing Flood Risk" (.ppt, 5.87MB)
- MG "Bo" Temple, USACE, "National Flood Risk Management" (.ppt, 5.11MB)
- Doug Plasencia, Michael Baker Jr., Inc., "National Flood Risk Policy Summit" (.ppt, 319KB)
- Doug Bellomo, FEMA, "Overview of FEMA Actions and Accomplishments" (.ppt, 5.23MB)
- Butch Kinerney, FEMA, "Stakeholder Acceptance & Risk Communications" (.ppt, 19.1MB)
Group Discussion Summaries - please check back after September 1st
Challenges of Quantifying Flood Risk
Challenges of Communicating Flood Risk
Challenges of Managing Flood Risk
Association Of State Floodplain Managers
National Association of Flood and Stormwater Management Agencies