ASFPM Annual Infographic 2018 (.pdf)
ASFPM Annual Report 2017 (.pdf)
ASFPM Annual Infographic 2017 (.pdf)
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. -- H. G. Wells
To celebrate ASFPM's 40th anniversary in 2016, it created this interactive timeline:
The ASFPM Story
The Association of State Floodplain Managers began in 1977 as the supporting organization of professionals involved in floodplain management, flood hazard mitigation, flood preparedness and flood warning and recovery. Its mission is to mitigate the losses, costs and human suffering caused by flooding and to promote wise use of the natural and beneficial floodplain functions. Today ASFPM is the premier voice in floodplain management practice and policy throughout the nation. Our 19,000 national and chapter members represent local, state and federal government agencies, citizen groups, private consulting firms, academia, insurance industry and lenders. ASFPM's influence is expressed through policy and practice changes that impact floodplain management in the U.S. and internationally. Our goals are simple – help the public and private sectors:
- Reduce the loss of human life and property damage resulting from flooding.
- Preserve the natural and cultural values of floodplains.
- Promote flood mitigation for the prevention of loss and the wise use of floodplains.
- Avoid actions that exacerbate flooding.
ASFPM points with pride to many projects and activities...
- We promote flood mitigation policies, such as No Adverse Impact floodplain management, to reverse the trend of ever increasing flood damages.
- We operate a nationwide program to certify floodplain managers, with an aggressive continuing education element.
- We conduct technical conferences to bring together practitioners on a variety of cutting edge topical issues.
- We publish proceedings from our conferences to shape and document the landscape of floodplain management programs and policies with state-of-the-art thinking.
- We worked with USAID to develop a post-Hurricane Mitch alert and warning system in strategic areas of watersheds in Honduras, and have provided advice on flooding to other nations.
- We helped establish the "Community Rating System" as a means to reward communities for sound floodplain management and continue to assist in its operation and refinement.
- We develop papers and reports analyzing national policy, with recommendations for modifications and enhancements that foster more effective flood mitigation implementation at the local level.
- We address topical issues pertinent to flood hazards: arid region issues such as sedimentation and alluvial fan flooding, coastal hazards, ice jams, closed lake basins, etc.
- We confer annual national awards to recognize and encourage exemplary achievements in floodplain management.
- We established the ASFPM Foundation to attract and direct funds to projects vital to broadening the base of informed agencies, organizations and people who impact decisions affecting floodplains.
The opportunity to provide protection for our citizens and businesses has never been greater. We must begin to make use of our floodplains in ways that are not only ecologically correct, but are acceptable to our society as a whole. Wise floodplain management will provide the means to address our flooding problems as well as create sustainable development for future generations.
ASFPM is committed to working with local and state governments, federal agencies, insurance and development industries, Congress, research and academia colleagues, our numerous partners in the private and public sectors and other professionals in floodplain management as well as related fields in the U.S. and abroad. We invite all who are dedicated to the future well being of this nation to join us in working toward reduced overall flood losses and the wise use of our lands.
Here is our membership application. You may contact our Home Office at:
Association of State Floodplain Managers, Inc.
8301 Excelsior Dr.
Madison, WI 53717
Phone (608) 828-3000
Fax (608) 828-6319