Funding Opportunity: FY 2015 Hazard Mitigation Assistance Grants
FEMA has announced the FY 2015 Notice of Funding Opportunities for two of the Hazard Mitigation Assistance (HMA) grant programs: Flood Mitigation Assistance and Pre-Disaster Mitigation. HMA grant programs provide states, tribes, territories, and local governments funding for eligible mitigation activities to strengthen our nation’s abilityto reduce disaster losses and protect life and property from future disaster damages.
All 50 states, D.C., American Samoa, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Northern Mariana Islands and federally-recognized tribal governments are eligible to apply. Local governments are considered sub-applicants and must apply to their applicant state/territory.
Applicants are encouraged to review the Hazard Mitigation Assistance Unified Guidance for detailed information regarding eligibility and to contact their FEMA regional office for additional information. Grant applications must be submitted to FEMA through the Mitigation eGrants system on the FEMA Grants Portal accessible on the Internet no later than 3 PM EDT on Aug. 28, 2015.
Flood Mitigation Assistance - $150 Million
The Flood Mitigation Assistance grant program provides funds on an annual basis so that measures can be taken to reduce or eliminate risk of flood damage to buildings insured under the National Flood Insurance Program.
For the FY15 FMA program, FEMA will select sub-applications for funding in the agency’s priority order:
- Flood mitigation planning activities up to $100,000 federal share per applicant with a maximum of $50,000 federal share for state mitigation plans and $25,000 federal share for local mitigation plans
- Projects that mitigateat least 50 percent of structures thatmeet definition part (b)(ii) of aSevere Repetitive Loss (SRL) property:At least 2 separate NFIP claim payments have been made with the cumulative amount of such claims exceeding the market value of the insured structure
- Projects that mitigateat least 50 percent of structures thatmeet the definition of aRepetitive Loss (RL) property:Have incurred flood-related damage on 2 occasions, in which the cost of the repair, on the average, equaled or exceeded 25 percent of the market value of the structure at the time of each such flood event
- Projects that mitigateat least 50 percent of structuresmeet definition part (b)(i)of a SRL property: 4 or more separateNFIP claims payments have been made with the amount of each claim exceeding $5,000, and with the cumulative amount of claims payments exceeding $20,000
- Projects that will reduce the risk profile in communities through mitigation of the largest number of contiguous NFIP-insured properties
Pre-Disaster Mitigation - $30 Million
The Pre-Disaster Mitigation grant program provides funds on an annual basis for hazard mitigation planning and the implementation of mitigation projects for the purpose of reducing overall risk to the population and structures, while also reducing reliance on Federal funding from future disaster declarations.
For the FY15 PDM program:
- Applicants may submit a maximum of 11 sub-applications in a PDM grant application: 10 for mitigation planning and project activities, plus 1 management cost sub-application. Of the 10 sub-applications for mitigation activities, Applicants may submit a maximum of3 projects.
- Each Applicant’s number one ranked sub-application must not exceed $250,000 Federal share in order to be eligible for the state and tribal set asides.
- FEMA will use the Building Code Effectiveness Grading Scale to prioritize activities for competitive selection once the set asides have been met.
FEMA will select eligible applications for funding in the agency’s priority order:
- Statutory set asideof$250,000 perState/Territory/District of Columbia
- Up to $5 Million Tribal set asidefor $250,000 per federally-recognized tribe
- Mitigation planning activitiesfrom Applicants withoutHazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds available
- Non-flood mitigation projects from Applicants withoutHMGP funds available
- Flood mitigation projects from Applicants withoutHMGP funds available
- Mitigation planning activitiesfrom Applicants withHMGP funds available
- Non-flood mitigation projects from Applicants withHMGP funds available
- Flood mitigation projects from Applicants withHMGP funds available
HMA Home Page: http://www.fema.gov/hazard-mitigation-assistance
FEMA Regional Offices: https://www.fema.gov/organizational-structure
FEMA State Hazard Mitigation Officers: http://www.fema.gov/state-hazard-mitigation-officers
HMA Helpline:1-866-222-3580 or email: HMAGrantsHelpline@fema.dhs.gov
MT eGrants Helpdesk: 1-855-228-3362or email: MTeGrants@fema.dhs.gov