SAME DAY EVENTS:
Sustainable City 2012
National NFIP Flood Conference
Mitigation Ecosystem Banking Conference
|Development in the Coastal & Marine Environment, "Issues, Lessons for Environmental Management"
|Location: London, UK
|Time: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Communications and Management for Sustainability (CMS)
School of Oriental and African Studies
University of London
The aim of this meeting is to look at a range of recent developments
in the marine and coastal environment to explore constructively the
lessons that have emerged in order to highlight issues that need to be
resolved so that development and management can proceed effectively
which both supports the benefits of development for society without
sacrificing environmental protection. The objectives of the conference
To consider a range of coastal and marine developments as case
studies to explore major lessons both good and bad, that have emerged
not least in relation to barriers to development
To look at common themes emerging from the case studies, including
cutting red tape, the need for innovation, working within environmental
limits and processes. Are systems as efficient, streamlined and
proportionate as they should be? New legislation promised a great deal
but the jury is out on whether it has delivered any significant change
for the better.
To consider the challenges to environment management thinking in
relation to the outcomes of the Habitats Directive Review, the lack of
environmental controls on fishing, the developing roles of EIA, SEA etc
and other issues.
Through discussion and interactive debate with the delegates to highlight solutions that will help us moving forward.
Topics that will be covered at the conference:
- The Fal Port development - protecting maerl beds, the Habitats Directive, precaution trial studies
- Pembrokeshire power station – heated effluent in an enclosed coastal environment
- The Wight Link – decision on ferry movements and mitigation
- Rame Head: dredging and dumping and siltation effects
- Hinkley Point – European sites – lessons for IPC and EIA
- Offshore wind – lessons from an established site
- Aggregate licence renewals - interim EIAs and full licence renewals
- Strangford Lough current turbine – too much precaution – proportionate environmental assessment costs
- The unusual position of fishing in environmental management
£155 Standard Delegate (excl. VAT)
Click here to register online.
Click here for trainings on this date.
Click here for chapter conferences on this date.
Click here for other events on this date.